Sustainable Christmas Lights For a Happy Eco-Friendly Holiday
While Christmas lights are nice to look at, it's one of the most unsustainable practices of the holiday season. Lighting our outdoor decorations all night can harm the environment.
- The U.S. Department of Energy reports that holiday lighting consumes over six terawatt-hours per year, which is the equivalent of the electricity consumption of 500,000 homes in one year.
- The Energy Saving Trust also reported that the carbon dioxide produced by Christmas lighting could fill up 15,500 hot air balloons.
Given these facts, it's time we all start using more sustainable outdoor decorations. Here are some eco-friendly Christmas light alternatives that can help protect the environment.
LED Christmas lights
According to AZO Cleantech, LED Christmas lights are the top substitute you can use to replace regular Christmas lighting. Among the benefits that the company lists include:
- 90% less energy used
- Safe to use
- Less expensive
Upon a search for the best LED Christmas lights, I found a New York Times article recommending GE's Energy Smart Colorite LED Miniature Lights. You can get a strand of 150 bulbs that you can either have in mulitcolor or warm white.
According to the reviewers, they found the lights don't twist or curl as much. As a result, it's easier to hang them on your tree or outside.
They also note the bulbs can last for at least 10 holiday seasons. You'll not only be helping to save the environment, you'll be helping to save your finances too. The other LED options they recommended include:
- Christmas Designers T5 Smooth LED Christmas Lights
- Christmas Lights Etc Kringle Traditions Wide-Angle 5mm Multicolor Outdoor LED Christmas Tree Lights
- Twinkly Generation II Smart RGB-W Led String Lights
There are many other options out there. Check out this LED Christmas lights guide which lists more LED lighting you can consider.
Solar Christmas Lights
Solar Christmas Lights get power from the daylight, helping to lower your electricity bills. With the sun being the energy source, that means no fossil fuels, and thus less harm to the planet. Here are a few of the best options listed below according to Solar Reviews:
- JMEXSUSS 2-Pack Solar String Lights
- Joomer 2-Pack Solar Christmas Lights
- Vmanoo Tube Meteor Shower Rain Lights
- WOWLUX LED Solar Crystal Ball Lights
- Brighttown Solar Outdoor String Lights
Battery Operated Christmas Lights
As the name indicates, these type of Christmas lights are powered by batteries. No electricity from your home required. Here are a couple of options you might like:
How to save energy on Christmas Lights?
Beyond choosing the eco-friendly lighting options above, there are other ways you can save energy. A Christmas light timer can control when your lights go on and when they go off. That way, you don't have to worry about them being on all night.
You can also decrease the amount of lights you use in your display by using extension cords. They'll help give you the same length you want for your Christmas lighting. It's best to use them in areas that are less visibile. All in all, following any of the tips in this article will allow you to have a nice Christmas light display while protecting the planet.
Related: Sustainable Christmas Tree Ideas For an Eco-friendly Holiday