10 Eco-Friendly & Zero Waste Laundry Detergents (2022)

900 million laundry jugs are discarded every year in the United States. Of the amount, only 30 percent are recycled, and the other 70 percent go to landfills or become litter.

Phosphates are a common chemical found in regular laundry detergent. It's been found to build up in the waterways and decrease oxygen for fish and plant life.

Another study found that 75% Of Plastics From Detergent Pods enter the environment. Laundry detergent is also mildly toxic to humans and pets too. It's because of all this and much more, it's important to start using an eco-friendly zero waste alternative.

Fortunately, there are many good sustainable options out there. There's Ethique, Eco Nuts, and many other eco-friendly detergents available.

If you're interested, you can learn about how some people make their own natural DIY laundry detergent. But be sure to research before deciding to do anything, as one source says there are reasons you shouldn't use homemade laundry detergent. With all of that said, here's where to buy sustainable laundry detergent.

Related: 14 Best Laundry Detergent Sheets For 2022

The Most Environmentally friendly laundry detergents

woman holding wooden basket with laundry

1. Tru Earth Zero Waste Laundry Strips

Tru Earth boasts that it's detergent is an eco-friendly option that's as sensitive to your skin as it is for the environment. The product has a number of certifications including being:

  • Paraben-free
  • Phosphate-free
  • Free of chlorine bleach

The laundry strips are also vegan and hypoallergenic. With every subscription to their product, they've committed to donating 32 loads of laundry to front-line workers.

Price: $19.95 for 32 loads

2. Dropps Laundry Detergent Pods

These laundry detergent pods come in two different forms. Dropps has stain and odor detergent for everyday deep cleaning, and sensitive skin detergent for gentle cleaning. They have various scents including lavender, fresh air, and unscented.

Their detergent uses natural plant-based enzymes good for all types of stains such as coffee and sweat. Dropps uses compostable packaging and has achieved 100% carbon neutral shipping. Their product is also plastic-free.

Price: $24 for 56 pods

3. Etee Concentrated Laundry Detergent

Etee concentrated laundry detergent is made without PVA to help prevent plastics from ending in waterways or landfills. Their goal was to create a detergent that whitens and brightens just like regular brands without harming the planet.

Price: $19 for 30 tbsp

4. Pur Home Laundry Detergent

Parents Magazine rated Pur Home's liquid laundry detergent the best one of 2021. Their product is both non-toxic and sulfate free.

The detergent comes in a biodegradable, compostable container. Additionally, they have a recyclable bag inside.

Price: $18 for 50 oz

5. Blueland Laundry Tablets

Blueland's laundry tablets contain no PVA. You get an item they call their "Forever Tin" and 40 laundry tablets. When you finish up your tablets, you can get a refill that's packaged in compostable paper pouches.

Price: 18$ for 40 tablets

6. Ethique Laundry Bar & Stain Stick

Ethique Zero waste bar and stain stick works well on wool, silk, and delicates. It's made with 100% biodegradable ingredients. Be mindful that it's not recommended for use in a washing machine.

Price: $6.00

7. Eco Nuts Organic Laundry Detergent

Eco Nuts detergent is made with soapberry extract, potassium sorbate, and vegetable glycerin. It contains no dyes, fillers, or fragrances. It's also 100% SLS and phosphate-free.

Price: $16.99 for 16 fl oz

8. Nature First Soap Berry Laundry Pods

Made with aloe vera and soap berries, this zero waste detergent is said to be safe for our water and ecosystems. Nature First also states their detergent leaves no residue on your linens, your washing machine, or your skin.

Price: $11.99

9. Meliora Powder Laundry Detergent

Meliora boasts that their laundry detergent is 100% plastic-free, dye-free, preservative-free, and a lot of other frees.

They aspired to create a people-friendly and planet-friendly laundry option. They feature various scents such as lemon, lavender, and unscented.

The detergents are all MADE SAFE certified, cruelty-free, and vegan. Additionally, the company donates 1% of each sale to environmental causes.

Price: $17.99

10. Shower Treat Zero Waste Natural Laundry Soap

The laundry soap that Shower Treat makes is made from scratch using wholesome ingredients. The product has no phosphates, leaves no residue, and uses no brighteners or animal products.

Price: $13.00 for 100 HE Loads

Helpful resources:




Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.